Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Knew Better....


We met our playgroup at Chick-fil-A today for a bite to eat. I knew things were headed down hill when Hayes slept past the 11:00 hour and we didn't make it until noon---the busiest time to go to Chick-fil-A. But, Caroline was begging and I had already told her we were going to meet her friends and I hated to back out when there was not a good reason why we couldn't go (except for the fact that I KNEW there were going to be 100 kids there during lunch, some of them with some sort of cold/illness, Hayes would get into a fight by pushing, Hayes would try to run away, yes, the list could go on) but we loaded up and went anyway...I knew better.

Yes, it was a disaster. Hayes know knows how to push open doors to let little people out, himself included. He pushed the other kids around (that's his way of letting you know he wants to play---we are working with him but it seems to be falling on deaf ears). Caroline didn't eat a bite & thankfully she didn't bite anyone else but still....I knew better...

So, after fighting a good fight for an hour, someone threw up in the playroom....so we evacuated....yes, I knew better.

So with two screaming kids that didn't want to leave, we left. They fought the entire car ride over an empty cup that simply had ice (seriously, is this for real?) Notice pictures above...Caroline is holding on to the cup for dear life and eyeing Hayes out of the corner of her eyes! They are serious about this cup!

Again, I knew better, but we headed to Target! Am I insane? I figured things couldn't get worse than they where, so why not try Target. I only had to get a couple of things for the kids and milk...an easy 15 minute run....Again, I knew better!

Disaster. Everything I put in the cart flew out, courtesy of Hayes. Every time I would stop the buggy, Caroline would cry to walk....MUST PRESS ON (I was chanting this in my head). They had a few really cute girls things that Caroline can wear to school this Fall so I picked them up (yes, Catherine, my kids have Target clothes!).....I also had to get mosquito cream for their huge bites....I knew better. When we checked out, I had the clothes, milk and a couple of other things, but most of what I 'needed' was not to be found. Hayes had thrown them out all over the store. I could have pulled my hair out. At this point I should have been charging a fee for the circus side act we were putting on for everyone but I gathered myself and my kids and checked out and we went home.....and I got them down for a nap.....well, sort of but that is for another blog. Caroline slept, Hayes and I went to WAR!!! More on the WAR later (note: I WON!).

So it was one of those days where I simply look at myself in the mirror and say, Brittany, you knew better....and tomorrow will be a better day!

3 comments:

christy said...

i love it!!! you just made me laugh so hard bc i totally feel your pain!! i have learned to wait until collins is at home or conner is in school and just take mary frances to shop. you are so brave - a much better woman than I!!! btw, i was also noticing how cute the girl clothes are in Target for the fall!!

Michael, Elizabeth, Vaiden, Whitten, and Mary Katharine said...

Yeah, you knew better, but you also knew to take pictures during the circus!! I love it and feel your pain!!

The Cross Family said...

I am laughing out loud at you...and you even had your camera? Thomas wants to know where those cupcake things are you made?