Sunday, March 30, 2008

A New Friend In Our Yard



Today was a beautiful day so the kids & I spent what time they were awake outdoors. After Caroline's nap (notice her special nap clothes that she has to pick out before every nap---we wash clothes constantly around here!) & Hayes' second nap, we headed out to the front yard so I could sweep the porch and they could play in the front yard---they love it for some reason. Before Troy got home, Caroline & I had noticed a beetle in the corner crack of the steps. Being the non-bug lover that I am, I didn't mention it to her as I didn't particularly want to play with the bug. BUT, I remembered that a beetle was on her new Dora puzzle & I thought it would be a good outdoors lesson. I pointed it out to her but said the beetle was sleeping--I know, bad mommy! We waited until Troy got home until we started to really poke at the beetle. It was playing dead (I really thought it was) until we poked it one too many times and it flew right over my head. I had to hold back my screams as not to frighten the kids (did I mention I HATE bugs?). We then found another beetle and this is where Science Guy Troy stepped in. He had the kids touching & playing with a new beetle. Caroline kept saying it would sting her but Hayes was all about picking it up....me, not so much!

We had a great time playing on the steps with the beetle & were entertained for about 30 minutes with this little creature. Our fun stopped when Hayes stepped back and well, you know what happened to this little guy.....

1 comments:

NIKKI said...

Playing with bugs -- fun fun! Looked like it was a GREAT outdoor lesson!