Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Disney Tips

*************************UPDATED***********************************************
So Troy and I have been to Disney more times that we can count and we have now been to Disney with our kids twice. Now twice isn't many times compared to some Disney fans out there, but for them to be so young (2 & 3) and we are not paid by Disney, I'd say that is a lot...for us anyway.
Here are a FEW things that have helped us while at Disney...I'll update this list as often as I think about things.


1. I pack everything for the kids in Ziploc bags. I put each outfit with a pair of socks/underwear in each Ziploc. I use the gallon size. If you get all of the air out you can pack a TON for your kids in a small suitcase.






2. Since you have everything in a Ziploc bag, you are able to throw one of these bags (or however many depending on how many kids you have) in your stroller or backpack. You will need to change your kid at some point and this way you are already packed. No spending time each morning gathering that extra outfit. AND when it rains you don't have to stress about your extra clothes getting wet in your bag & you can just leave them in the stroller....they won't get wet even if the stroller does.



3. TAKE YOUR OWN SIPPY CUPS. I took these. I got mine at Wal-Mart and I bought three packs. I would take them into the parks and not worry about leaving them. I would actually throw them away or leave them at the restaurants. FYI, at Animal Kingdom, they do not have kids cups with lids or straws, so these were a lifesaver for us. Yes, my kids can drink out of regular cups, but when they were riding in strollers for most of the day or walking around this just saved us a spill or 10.



4. Extra Magic Hours for Disney resort guests is worth it....but only in the morning! If you are there for the night hours, so are the rest of the resort guests. We found that not everyone wanted to be up early, so if you can, get on up and hit the parks. You can knock out most of what you 'have' to do in an hour (at the Magic Kingdom anyway). And, if you miss Magic Hour in the morning, pick another park to hit that day- one that isn't open early. The parks are typically most crowded when there is extra Magic Hour. For example: MK opens at 8 for resort guests & 9 for everyone else. You don't make it out of your hotel room until 9:15---PICK ANOTHER PARK (if you can). Now if you are going on an off season, it's not bad...if you are going May-August, pick another park and hit the MK in the afternoon.

5. Animal Kingdom isn't near as busy in the afternoons. Everyone does it first thing in the morning & lines have died down after 1 or 2 (but beware, it closes pretty early, so don't wait too long).
6. The Electrical Water Pageant is worth staying up for if you are staying at Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian or Grand Floridian. It is amazing!
7. If you want to hit lots of Princesses at once, make sure to head to ToonTown to the character greeting. Do this pretty early in the morning as lines (we have found) get long...especially for the fairies.

8. If you like pictures and hate having to ask people to take your photo (so one family member isn't always left out), invest in the Disney's Photopass program. Check out the site. We spent the $99 bucks (heavily discounted if you buy in advance) and it was the best money we have spent! We bought the package where you get the entire CD and you can print them at any place you want (Walmart, snapfish, etc..). Yes, some of the poses can be cheesy, but you can tell them you bought the CD and you want lots of pics taken. We did this every time and ended up with over 200 pics of all 4 of us...how great is that? They took tons of candids too and mostly with characters so I didn't have to fool with the camera and could really enjoy the kids meeting and greeting. Any questions, please ask!

*Click here to go to the site where you can pre-order and get the discount. They will email you a conf. number...HOLD ON TO THAT EMAIL. Then you get a photopass card at the first photographer you see. Use that card throughout your stay (write your number down just in case you misplace the card)---you can also have a couple of cards. I had one and Troy had one so if we split up we could still get pics made! Once you get home you view your pics, pull up that email and order your CD for the prepaid $99...it's worth it! I have never tried the photo-book, I have always used Snapfish for our books, but if you have ordered the CD, you can use those photos to create your album.

9. Backpack! We took one that Troy and I both carried. We kept snacks (I'll get to this later) our camera, sunscreen, everything. I picked one that he wouldn't mind carrying and that had good shoulder support. You walk and carry it all day long for numerous days...get a comfy one!
10. Food: If you are playing in the Magic Kingdom & are ready to eat but don't want to eat 'chicken fingers' or battle the crowds, try hopping on the Monorail and try eating at Grand Floridian Cafe, OHana, or take the boat to Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge.
11. If you are looking for a Disney Book to read up on everything Disney, Troy and I recommend and LOVE the Disney Passporter. It is super helpful and very up to date.






12. When riding the Monorail, ask to sit in the FRONT of the Monorail cab. It can hold up to FOUR and it's super fun (it may be able to hold more if your kids are really small, but 4 adults for sure)! All you have to do is ask the cast member working. They are super nice and it's great fun for the kids.



4 comments:

NIKKI said...

I knew you could get the photo pass for $99...how do you get it in advance?

NIKKI said...

Can you find out what parks have the magic hours what days before you go? Is it the same every week?

NIKKI said...

OK going to drive you CRAZY...
Have you done the photo book through them? If so how is it compared to others?

Robin said...

Brittany,

You should write a book about taking kids to Disney..Tell me your favorite nightime stuff. Hoopty doo ? What is the best for the kids ? Thanks...Mrs. Robin