Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Advent Jesse Tree


My sweet Aunt Carol gave me the book The Advent Jesse Tree several years ago and it is a devotional book that adults can do with or without children. It has a special section in the book for children, but don't be discouraged if you don't have kids to do this with. I won't give all of the details, but it lasts from December 1 until Christmas day and it is wonderful. Troy & I can't wait to get into this with Caroline and Hayes. I know that this year will be the seed that gets planted and in future years we will really get into the making of the ornaments and the entire projects, but for this year, we will just do a small tree and handmade things.

I just wanted to pass the word along on this wonderful book...you still have time to get it and catch up before too late (or go ahead and get it now and save it for next year---but read the beginning now so you can get an idea on how early you may need to start getting ready next year).
It was written by a wonderful lady from Hattiesburg that is a great childhood friend of my Aunt Carol's. I am so excited about sharing this book with my children. I wish Aunt Carol lived closer as I know she would love to share some of these devotion times with Caroline and Hayes.

If anyone else is doing The Advent Jesse Tree, let me know...I would love to hear about it!
**I hear this book is now on about a 1-2 month back order so if you go here you may can get it a bit faster. There is also a book for the Easter season that would make a great gift. It is called The Lenten Tree....check it out!

5 comments:

Southern Baby, LLC said...

Britt,
We went to Dean's tea room in H'burg (she wrote "The Advent Jesse Tree"). She said it is #6 on the best seller list (either Amazon or New York Times). She had no idea - a friend told her. And she doesn't take any credit - it's all from the Bible!
Mom

B said...

We grew up with "The Jesse Tree" and this will be my first time to do it in my home. I'm so excited! I'm just hoping Loren will make the ornaments for me! :)

Anonymous said...

I will definitely have to try and check out the book. Maybe I can do it next year with Sims. By the way, I love, love, love your blog. It's ALWAYS so cute! I am doing good to get posts on mine. Let alone change it up all the time. Also, I LOVE the picture of you and Caroline. So precious! Finally, thanks for saying I'm a great Mom. I appreciate it. Sims is a wonderful God given blessing, but he can be such a challenge at times. I don't always feel like a great Mom. I hope to see you sometime soon. If I don't, have a very Merry Christmas.

Laura Matthews said...

Ok...I found your blog when leaving a post on Darby's...who I don't know personally but...you know how that goes. I have to ask you about your family history...we could be related. My full name is Laura Odom Matthews...I don't know my dad's side really...his name was Russ...hailing from El Dorado, Arkansas. If you feel compelled and have a minute, I'd love to hear if you think we might be related as that would be CRAZY. LOVE the book idea too!

www.thematthews.typepad.com

Sara said...

I didn't realize at first who the author is! I'll have to tell Erin her mom is famous on the blog circuit. Did you got to school with one of the Lambert girls when you were in Hattiesburg? And, will the Odom family be making an appearance at the New Orleans Bowl??