Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Storm


On Friday afternoon we were caught by surprise with a really bad storm. There were tornado's in the area and one went right through our neighborhood. We are so blessed that we were safe (& in a closet in the center of the house) when the storm blew through, but several of our neighbors completely lost their houses.

I was at home with the kids when this 'little' storm came rolling into town. My friend, Carly, & I were on the phone & she had to go since the sirens were going off in her town. When we hung up, I started to listen for ours---they started about 2 minutes later. I am usually not afraid of weather but today I started to watch out of our bedroom window. When I saw our fence that we share with the next-door-neighbor blow down, I grabbed the kids and headed for our closet. I called Troy and he was fine but sounded worried. I hung out in the closet trying to get the kids to sing & play games, not daring to leave our hideout for I was afraid Hayes would escape & I would never get him back into the hiding place! About 30 minutes into our hiding game, Troy came in---boy was I glad to see him :)




We are all safe & he is out doing yard work as I type. Once the big part of the rains left we let the kids play outside. I know, gross that Caroline is barefoot---it wasn't worth the fight :) Once Troy was home he put on his working gloves & headed outside....Caroline quickly put on her working gloves and followed---she loves to 'be just like daddy'.
Troy wrote more details on the storm on his blog---I just like pictures! The picture of the blown down fence is just part of what fell. It is a shot taken from our yard looking into the neighbor's yard. Troy & the neighbor are tearing down the rest right now---the winds were knocking nails out like crazy!

3 comments:

christy said...

oh my gosh!! i was so worried about y'all. i was in town for a bday party and was actually leaving dogwood just as it struck. we barely missed it. probably wasn't good judgement to drive in that but i knew conner would not lay down in a ditch. the weather threw all our plans for a loop. do y'all have power back and what happened to the guy in your neighborhood who fell off his roof?

Valerie Ogden Seal said...

I love Caroline's Pampered Chef apron and chef hat. Hayes and Caroline are so adorable! I love your blog!!! Love, Val Seal

Laura said...

I'm so glad y'all are okay! I miss a lot about the States, but I definitely don't miss the tornadoes!