Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Seaside Story

Most beach trips are planned out months in advance. Especially when children are involved everything is in complete order and totally packed as not to leave anything. Not that there wouldn't be a local store within 10 miles of where ever you were staying, but it is just nice to have your own stuff. That said, we decided to call and see if we could get a cottage in Seaside on Saturday and were planning on leaving EARLY Sunday morning. So you see, I had less than 24 hours to get myself and my two little ones packed. And we were running crazy on Saturday, which was July 4th, at our neighborhood parade (pics to come). So I grabbed two duffel bags, threw a couple of sundresses & swimsuits in one and threw a few outfits and swimsuits for the kids and prayed I didn't forget much. I say much because I knew there were going to be things that were forgotten. But, when a last minute trip to Seaside comes up & your sweet husband so graciously gives you the go ahead, you don't complain & you get to packing.

The kids and I were going to meet Tricia & Grace at my grandmother's house in Hattiesburg on Sunday morning so we could get an early start and get as much out of the day as we could. I think I shocked everyone when I had the car loaded, kids loaded and we were pulling out of our driveway at 640. Oh yes, I was ready for the beach. I meant business.
We loaded everything up into my bus (yukon xl--but when loaded to the max with three carseats, two adults and more beach junk than should be allowed, it's called a bus) and we were off by 10. Kids traveled well and we were so excited.
Our cottage was not ready when we arrived so we hit the pool and let the kids burn off some energy. Getting settled was a bit harder than we thought as they all wanted to share a room and that doesn't always go so well when you have three kids 4 and under. They all ended up taking naps and being happy later.
This was supposed to be a fun weekend get away for Grace & Tricia but Tricia so graciously invited us to join them....or maybe accidentally invited us and didn't realize I would actually take her up on it since it was so last minute! The deal was just too good to pass up and I am in love with Seaside. It really is just a peaceful place to go...
Caroline & Grace were best friends. They would jump waves together, build sand castles together, eat their snacks together and start all over again. They would have a tiff or two and all was good. They really do love one another and the older they get the less they fuss....then here comes the boy...
Hayes wants so badly to play with these little girls he calls his 'friends' and the way he plays just isn't quite how they play. He loves to join in on the sandcastle fun, though it just isn't fun when they build their castles and he jumps on them. It's fun for him because he thinks it is hilarious. Like bend over belly laugh hilarious. Then he chases them with sand. Then he buries their feet and they don't like that. He wants to play rough running sand games and the sweet girls just aren't into these little games of his...so that left me to play them with him.
Props to Tricia, my sister, she can entertain and get kids fired up about anything in the world. She can get them to do just about anything and can half way act excited about it and you really have to watch her to see if she is faking it. Not me. You know if I am faking it or not. Like running in the sand and building sandcastles to stomp on, just not fun...but it was for Hayes, so he and i wandered off a bit and let the girls play. I would build castle after castle and he would stomp stomp stomp and then, with hands on hips, proclaim, 'I'm Finished'...and he was. And we would do it again and he would proclaim again. And we would do it again, only about 20 more times and it really ended up being a super sweet time with him that kept him out of their way and I stole some time with him that I will cherish forever... He was the only boy on the trip so he was out numbered....don't worry Hayes, your time will come. You'll be bigger than the girls very soon & they will have to play your games...no more dress up parties for you little bud :) you are a good sport!
Thanks Tricia for letting us tag along, putting up with two extra little ones, constantly entertaining with a smile & even acting like you had fun...we had a blast, Sistah (oh yes, this was the name of the cottage where we stayed---how fitting, huh!).

0 comments: